< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Tuesday, July 27, 2004
 
DNC Convention Day One - Fruits and Nuts
by Thom the Blog Culler


I thought about trying to watch some of the opening night of the DNC convention last night.  After all, while growing up my liberal union dues paying father often admonished me to "know thy enemy."  Sage counsel, no doubt.

However, when I came home from a long day of making America a safer place while simultaneously providing food, shelter, and education for my my growing family--no small feat, I assure you--I was forced to make a choice.  I could spend the evening listening to Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton drone on about how Wascally Wepublicans destroyed their meager presidential legacies, or I could spend some time praying, singing songs, reading scriptures and otherwise having meaningful, creative fun with my wife and kiddos.  Let me just say, the choice was not tough. 

Fortunately for me,  it seems that I didn't miss much.  Our good friend Matthew May over at the American Thinker has kindly provided us with a "nutshell" review of the DNC's first night of convention speeches.  As the following quote indicates, there's nothing new for us to learn about them:
The Republican Party, Gore thundered, favors tax breaks for their wealthy cronies, isn’t interested in socialized health care, and doesn’t give a hoot about Social Security. Flipping over to C-SPAN2, viewers could watch Harry S. Truman at the 1948 Democrat Convention rail against the Republican Party in Congress that apparently proposed “a rich man’s tax bill” that favors a tax cut “for those who need it least” and penalizes “those who need it most.” Truman also added that Republicans in Congress failed to act on his plan to spend $300 million “to meet the education crisis.” Not only is the Democratic playbook oddly familiar, it’s ancient.

I especially like this next quote, not only for the nutty conclusions drawn by the particiapating Dems, but also for the colorful, fruity visual images it fosters.
Soon after Glenn Close reminded everyone that women would not be ignored, and the nine female Democratic U.S. Senators strolled by in the Parade of Pantsuits, convention chairman Bill Richardson took the podium to introduce former President Jimmy Carter. According to Richardson, if any of the delegates flew into Boston on a cheap flight, it was because of Carter’s genius energy policies and his creation of another bureaucracy called the Department of Energy. Richardson claimed that Carter gave the nation “a government as good as its people.” One wonders what in the hell we did to deserve that.


What indeed?

What can I say more?



0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic