< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Wednesday, December 01, 2004
 
Birth, Life, and Death
by Cordeiro
After having taken to heart the virtual tongue lashing bestowed upon the Blogosphere by Hugh (honestly, Hugh, I was really getting around to it), I have decided to comment on the Groningen Protocol.

Now I know you're asking, "Sure, Cordeiro, first how do you pronounce Groningen and what is the related Protocol?"

I have no idea how to answer the first question, as I don't speak anything close to Dutch. I can answer the second question.

The Groningen Protocol has been put forth by the Dutch detailing the circumstances under which measures may be taken to euthanize newborn babies deemed to be terminally ill.

No, you did not misread my commentary. The Dutch, who already have protocols to kill terminally ill elderly people now have a protocol by which they can legally kill newborns - actually up until age 12.

But wait, it gets better.

A parent's role is limited under the protocol. While experts and critics familiar with the policy said a parent's wishes to let a child live or die naturally most likely would be considered, they note that the decision must be professional, so rests with doctors.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I do not purport to understand the issues surrounding the decision to terminate life support or other measures used to prolong the life of a terminally ill infant or child.

What I am is a husband and a father. I have stood by the fetching Mrs. Cordeiro twice as she has reached forth to touch the hand of God and bring life into this world. In the deep recesses of my soul I knew that I might be called upon to make decisions that would affect the life and possible death of my bride and/or our child.

As a husband and a father, that is my job. Its what I signed up for. No doctor or other professional has the right, Groningen Protocol be damned, to interfere in that role. Anyone attempting to make life and death decisions regarding my children runs the risk of having his or her head forcibly removed from his or her body. The duty of parents is to protect their children at all costs from anyone seeking to do them harm. Parents understand this. Fathers understand this.

The Dutch, however, seem to have justified themselves all the way down the slippery slope by codifying something unspeakable - most likely so they can justify a death for convenience sake.

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. - Matthew 18:6
Here endeth the lesson.
0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic