< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Monday, December 06, 2004
 
I had such hopes for Harry Reid
by Cordeiro
I did. I swear.

I had hoped that he would've learned from his predecessor, Tiny Tommy Daschle - the soon to be former Senate Minority Leader whose next job is wondering what he's going to do now that he actually has to live in South Dakota.

South Dakota is wondering what it will do with Tiny Tommy. Perhaps his travel visa will be revoked. But I digress.

Harry (I haven't come up with a nickname for him yet - feel free to suggest one) went on Meet the Press on Sunday. Rather than attempt to bring some semblance of comprehension to the Democratic Party, Harry evidently spent the night studying Tiny Tommy's playbook. A complete transcript of the interview can be found here.

Some highlights of the exchange:

MR. RUSSERT: Private accounts for Social Security--the president has made that a priority of his domestic agenda. Will you work with him in privatizing part of Social Security?

SEN. REID: Tim, I can remember as a little boy my widowed grandmother with eight children. She lived alone, but she felt independent because she got every month her old age pension check. That's what this is all about. The most successful social program in the history of the world is being hijacked by Wall Street. Yes, Social Security is a good program. And if the president has some ideas about trying to improve it, I'll talk to him, and we as Democrats will, but we are not going to let Wall Street hijack Social Security. It won't happen. They are trying to destroy Social Security.

MR. RUSSERT: No private accounts?

SEN. REID: They are trying to destroy Social Security by giving this money to the fat cats on Wall Street, and I think it's wrong.

That, dear reader, is straight from the Tiny Tommy playbook. Back in September, I commented at length regarding the realities facing Social Security. Harry would do well to read that. He needs to remember that my Social Security funds are mine and I would prefer that he keep his hands off my decisions regarding my retirement.

After reading the interview transcript and the barbed attacks aimed at W, Big Time, and Clarence Thomas, I can only arrive at the conclusion that Harry is attempting to follow in the footsteps of Tiny Tommy.

Harry, you and Tiny Tommy share some remarkable similarities. You are, as he was, a Blue Senator from a Red State. Next time you go to the White House, look closely at the roof. Someplace up there on a pike is Tiny Tommy's political head.

Best to shred the Tiny Tommy playbook, Harry.

Here endeth the lesson.

4 Comment(s):
I can only imagine how exited you neo-con bloggers must get when you receive a comment from a real reader. So, since I will probably never pass this way again, perhaps I can be of service. I notice a cute, school-boy tendency to give your betters flippant nicknames.
How sweet and childlike! As one who is obviously your elder and wiser, I must chuckle a tolerant chuckle.

So, why do the "Sons" refer to the profane, ignorant and arrogant Clarence Thomas as, well, Clarence Thomas? Why no nickname for this fool? Perhaps only white Democrat-guys are eligible for a dose of youthful insult. Alas, the "Sons" are found to have feet of clay.
Well, just ignore the comments from the rabble.
I already commented on this post over at Cordiero's Musings, but I just wanted to say how much I love your site. I am embarrassed to admit, but I feel like I have more in common sometimes with some of the gentler conservative bloggers who are not LDS than some of the worldly, liberal LDS bloggers, so to find a blogger who is conservative and LDS is quite a treat.

I can't say I have too high of hopes for Mr. Reid. Now for Mitt Romney...?? ;) We'll see....

Thanks for your hard work and for caring!
Memo

TO: "Anonymous"
FROM: Bonjo

Thanks for visiting our blog. It appears you could be well served from reading our conservative commentary on a regular basis.

The purpose of my comment here is to state that in all my years on this planet, I have never heard anyone tell me they were my "elder", nor that they were "wiser" than me. In fact, anyone older or wiser than me has no need to state that fact. The advice or counsel they offer clearly demonstrates the fact that they are older and wiser, and whenever such advice or counsel is proffered, the younger and less-wise listen.

Take for example my father. When he speaks, I listen. When certain individuals in my church talk to me, I listen. There are people in my profession who, when they speak, find me attempting to write down every word they say. The older, wiser and more experienced have never had to tell me they were just that.

It's when arrogant, condescending, self-righteous and self-loving people (while hiding in anonymity) shove their opinions down the throats of others that the others close their ears and stop listening. The fact that you had to tell us you were "older and wiser" clearly tells me that you have little worthwhile advice for any of us.

In fact, the only people I've ever heard say they were "older and wiser" were Seniors in high school who were trying to impress incoming Freshman.

I invite you to return next year, after you've graduated from Whine High.

With that I return to my capitalist endeavors.
Regarding Anonymous

Your comment excited me so much that responding to it fell somewhere between taking the dog to the vet and putting up Christmas Lights on my house. Your delusionary state must qualify you as a legend in your own mind.

While you may be more chronologically advanced than I (or my fellow Sons of the Republic), advanced age does not necesarily imply wisdom - a fact that you have thus far proven past my need to validate.

As for the subject of "Flippant Schoolboy Nicknames", you show your ignorance by failing to notice that we give nicknames to just about everyone - friends and detractors alike. Consult the Glossary should you care to see for yourself rather that make unfounded accusatory statments.

Regarding the "profane, ignorant and arrogant" Clarence Thomas, we do have a nickname for him. We call him Justice Thomas. Isn't interesting how small minds resort to name-calling when they are unable to come up with valid arguements?

And finally, as for your claim to only pass this way once - I doubt that. Feel free to stop by any time.

Here endeth the lesson.
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic