< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Monday, December 13, 2004
 
Liberals Oppose Christmas; Remind Others of True Meaning
by Bonjo
Yesterday started out a cloudy, rainy day in the nation's capital. Mrs. Bonjo and I loaded up the little Bonjo's and drove off to find a Christmas tree. We went to a local tree lot and within minutes had found a suitable tree. As we were leaving, I thanked the clerk who had helped us, and she replied, "Have a nice holiday!"

(Side note: the sales receipt states the return policy: If I'm not satisfied with any item, I can return it within 90 days for a full refund. Does that mean I can take my Christmas tree back in March? "Sorry, the color didn't hold up like we'd expected, and it’s dropping needles!" Lest you think I’m looking for a handout, I’ll state that I don't advocate corporate subsidized Christmas trees, though I'm sure one day some liberal politician will draft just such legislation. I digress.)

Later in the day, I thought some more about the clerk's "Have a nice holiday." I can understand that stores serve people of varying cultural backgrounds, and that not all customers will recognize Christmas. However, the sole intent of my visit to that store was to purchase a CHRISTMAS tree. Has the pendulum swung so far that it's not "PC" to wish someone a Merry Christmas when, seconds earlier, he or she purchased a Christmas tree? Do people buy Christmas trees in order to not celebrate Christmas?

This, in turn, led me to think about Christmas itself, as celebrated by the majority of Americans. Like it or not, for most Americans Christmas is not a religious holiday. It's a day when folks take a day or two off work, their kids open presents, families gather for a big dinner, watch a bowl game or two on television, and maybe go to church.

For those that go to church, I suspect it is largely due to tradition. Do they ponder the significance of what the day symbolizes for Christianity? Some do, undoubtedly. Many don't, however.

That being said, I find it extremely ironic that the lefties in this country find so much offense in the celebration of Christmas: the singing of a Christmas carol in a public school, or the display of a Nativity scene on government property.

In the Seattle area, a public school banned "Jingle Bells" from the seasonal choir concert. "Jingle Bells" makes some people feel uncomfortable (maybe PETA protested "Jingle Bells" since it advocates the abuse and torture of animals with horse-drawn sleighs and whips).

It's not just Christianity that receives such "attention." Just days ago, on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., President Bush spoke at the lighting of the National Menorah. Some people oppose the fact that a menorah is on display on Federal property.

I find it ironic that those on the left who despise the religious aspect of Christmas also dislike Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is one of the largest retailers who profit from the commercialization and related "secularization" of the holiday! Shouldn’t they be thanking Wal-Mart for making Christmas less religious? Wal-Mart has even accomplished this without suing anybody!

The fact the lefties haven’t considered is that their complaints only serve to remind people of the “true meaning” of Christmas. The more the lefties complain, the more people are reminded that Christmas is a time to remember God and Jesus Christ. Yes, even in the blue states, some people will celebrate Christmas.

With that I return to my capitalist endeavors.
0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic