< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Friday, February 11, 2005
 
2004 Word of the Year: Blog
by Bonjo
Old news by now, but Merriam Webster has a list of the top ten word searches performed on their site last year. The first term was "blog", and it has thusly been pronounced as the "Word of 2004". For those of you who were first exposed to blogging by the BonjoBlog, you're welcome. And my condolences.

The other 9 words making the top ten list are as follows:

2. incumbent
3. electoral
4. insurgent
5. hurricane
6. cicada
7. peloton : noun (1951) : the main body of riders in a bicycle race
8. partisan
9. sovereignty
10. defenestration
People are obviously inspired in their word lookups by the news. Those words aptly describe the year 2004. But seriously, usually I only lookup a word when I don't know it's meaning, or when I want to analyze the meaning to some degree. I would assume, however, that the majority of people looking up "incumbent" and "electoral" and "insurgent" etc. were actually looking for definitions of those words because they didn't know what they meant.

That shouldn't surprise us, given that liberals don't want us to teach reading and writing in school. No, we're supposed to teach about condoms and alternative lifestyles. People probably thought the MSM was insulting George W. Bush by calling him an "incumbent"... only to realize that it means, "the guy that's already in office." That's my definition, not Merriam Webster's.

The only two words on the list I didn't know were 7 and 10. I assume number 7 showed up sometime during the Tour de France. When I saw #10, I figured it had something to do with a window, given that "finestra" is Italian for window. Perhaps it meant taking windows out? No, I looked it up and it means, "a throwing of a person or thing out of a window."

Perhaps that word was looked up after the defenestration of the Democratic Party and liberal agenda by the American electorate on November 2.

I now return to my capitalist* endeavors.

* Some readers have questioned whether I should use "capitalist" or "capitalistic". I've consulted my in-house publication editor, who informed me that either is correct. For example, "America is a capitalist nation." If a nation is a noun, and an endeavor is a noun, one can then assume that "My capitalist endeavors" is also correct, though the dictionaries I've consulted seem to indicate the words can be used interchangeably. Therefore, if you prefer "my capitalistic endeavors" over "my capitalist endeavors," please let me know. I'll play the role of customer-pleasing capitalist and seek your input.
2 Comment(s):
Comments should now be working working again. 

Posted by Bonjo
Capitalistic, certainly.  

Posted by The Chainik Hocker
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic