< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Wednesday, April 13, 2005
 
Corporal Glenn Watkins, United States Army
by Cordeiro
Most of the reports I read of fallen soldiers are from media reports. This is all fine and good, but they lack the point of view unique to that of a fellow soldier.

It is in that light that I commend for your reading this entry from the MilBlog This Is Your War. CPL Watkins was Killed in Action by a Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) on April 5, 2005. Read Red2Alpha's account of CPL Watkins' memorial service. The writing is blunt, and sometimes graphic. Life is that way.

CPL Watkins was married, with four children. And he stayed here, in Iraq, so he could be with his old unit... And paid for it with his life. Think about that next time you have to stay late at the office or some other bulls**t that you think is a burden to do in your safe civilian life.
Godspeed, Corporal Watkins. Rest in Peace.

Where no mothers cry and no children weep
We will stand and guard though the angels sleep
All through the ages safely keep the mansions of the Lord


1 Comment(s):
I miss you Glen. You truly were one of the best soldiers I ever had the honor to serve with, let alone the short friendship we had. Thank you for the example of faith and maturity you passed on to me. Not a day goes by, when I don't glance at a flag and see the red stripes and think of you, and the sacrifice so many fine men have paid for my freedom. I know in Christ I will see you again, and we will one day sit at the table of 'Peace' together. God be with you Glen. I will always keep Ann and the kids in my prayers.
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic