< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Thursday, October 06, 2005
 
Mulligans, Texas Style
by Cordeiro
I know I'm chiming in a little late here, and my comments will no doubt draw the ire of the Blue State Commenter, never the less, I just can't pass this one up.

The continuing saga of Ronnie Earle v. Tom Delay gets more pathetic by the day. Let me first say I'm not a huge fan of Tom Delay. He's not my congressman, so I don't vote for him. I know he's had his share of negative news. While Blue State may be colored unimpressed by the whole thing, I find the whole process something short of comical.

You see, Ronnie Earle's first attempt at a Delay indictment fell several legal yards short of the target. It indicted Delay for a crime committed in 2002 - however Earle relied on a statute passed by the Texas state legislature in 2003. I'm not a lawyer, but even I can figure out one of the guarantees written into the US Constitution prevents people from being prosecuted under laws passed after the "offense" was committed.

Obviously disturbed after finding out something he should've already known, Earle then went to Grand Jury #2. This Grand Jury refused to indict Delay based on the "evidence" provided by Earle. Earle then went to Grand Jury #3, empaneled for less than an hour and having barely made it through orientation, and managed to secure an indictment on charges of Money Laundering.

You might not like Tom Delay. Hell, you might not even like Republicans in general. Even with that state of mind, the obvious abuse and manipulation of the criminal justice system in pursuit of settling a political score should show you what kind of mediocre legal mind is behind this Texas sized tempest in a Washington teapot.

Here endeth the lesson.

HT Captain Ed
0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic