< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Monday, November 21, 2005
 
Gettysburg Address Turns 142
by Cordeiro
Many thanks to the Infamous Dean Barnett for bringing this anniversary to my remembrance, and also pointing out that - even back then - The New York Times missed out on the most important words spoken on that day.

Abe was brief, to the point, and said more in a few paragraphs than Edward Everett said in the hours he occupied. He even went as far as to admit the same to Lincoln in a letter written after the event:

Permit me also to express my great admiration of the thoughts expressed by you, with such eloquent simplicity & appropriateness, at the consecration of the cemetery. I should be glad, if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion, in two hours, as you did in two minutes.
To which Abe replied:

In our respective parts yesterday, you could not have been excused to make a short address, nor I a long one. I am pleased to know that, in your judgment, the little I did say was not entirely a failure.
Not bad for a man who wrote his own stuff.

Here endeth the lesson.
0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic