< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Monday, January 07, 2008
 
Major Andrew J. Olmsted, United States Army
by Cordeiro
“How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life.” – Captain Kirk, Star Trek II – The Wrath of Khan

I owe thanks to my dear friend Cinnabari for pointing me to Andy Olmstead’s self-written eulogy. His final post is truly one for the ages, and one to which I have little to add.

Major Andrew J. Olmstead was killed on January 3, 2007 when he and his team came under intense small arms fire in As Sadiyah, Iraq.

His thoughts on his life, his chosen profession, and the possibility turned reality of his own death are truly riveting. I’ve spent the past hour reading and re-reading his eulogy trying to find parts of it I would like to excerpt, but I’m unable to do so. I’ll simply state this – go read the whole thing. Now read it again.

So, Andy, per your request, I’ve poured myself a tall cold Coke (albeit of the Diet variety) and have dialed up some classic 1980s Journey on my iPod in your honor.

Godspeed, Major Olmstead. Thank you.

Here endeth the lesson.
1 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic