< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.sotr.us" >
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words. - John Wayne

Tuesday, April 08, 2008
 
Obama’s Parchment Thin Foreign Policy Cred
by Cordeiro

It really is amazing what passes for experience these days.  Barack Obama, visiting San Francisco to scale the Golden Gate Bridge, took aim at Hillary's foreign policy experience yesterday.  He actually made a good point – one for which I will gladly give him credit.  Opined Obama:

 

When Senator Clinton brags 'I've met leaders from eighty countries' -- I know what those trips are like! I've been on them. You go from the airport to the embassy. There's a group of children who do native dance. You meet with the CIA station chief and the embassy and they give you a briefing. You go take a tour of a plant that [with] the assistance of USAID has started something. And then -- you go.  You do that in eighty countries.  You don't know those eighty countries.

 

Had the junior senator from Illinois left it at that, he'd be on solid ground.  He didn't.  He insisted on inserting his own foreign policy street cred to show how he outshines both Hillary and McCain.  Here, dear reader, is the self proclaimed foreign policy experience of the man who would be POTUS:

 

Foreign policy is the area where I am probably most confident that I know more and understand the world better than Senator Clinton or Senator McCain.

 

<snip>

 

So when I speak about having lived in Indonesia for four years, having family that is impoverished in small villages in Africa --knowing the leaders is not important -- what I know is the people...I traveled to Pakistan when I was in college -- I knew what Sunni and Shia was [sic] before I joined the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

 

So, let's get this straight:  living abroad as a very young child, having family in foreign lands, and spending three weeks in Pakistan (in 1981) qualifies as foreign policy experience?

 

Thanks to the United States Army I spent the better part of my adolescent years (many more than Barack Obama) living abroad in parts of Europe and Asia.  I seem to faintly remember having an great-aunt living in Germany someplace – I don't really remember.  I also spent a few years living in Brazil.  I submit that I myself have more foreign policy experience than does Barack Obama.  I'm pretty sure I speak a few more languages than he does.

 

Even with all my newly discovered solid foreign policy street cred, you'll forgive me if I don't wait by the phone for an offer to be VP or Secretary of State.

 

Here endeth the lesson.


0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker

Mormon Temple
Dusty Harry Reid Dusty Harry Reid Drunk Ted Kennedy Sons of the Republic